Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review: Alum Creek State Park

I think this is the first time we stayed at Alum Creek State Park (in Ohio) so I thought I would just add my two cents for anyone who might be planning on visiting.

First is that it's in a great location.  It's just north of Polaris (which is a big retail area) so things you might need and stuff to do is close by.  Downtown Columbus is just a short drive down I71.  However, when you're at Alum Creek you certainly don't feel like you're in an urban area.  In fact, the park isn't really in an urban area.  It's nicely out of the way.

Keep in mind we stayed there in the very early camping season so the place was pretty quiet.  Although there was a camper nearby who seemed to think that everything said needed to be shouted, especially with their music turned up.  We seem to remember coming down here back in the tent camping days and were turned away because the park was full, so I think this one gets pretty busy during peak months. Facilities were functional and decent.  I would give them 2.5 stars out of 5 if I rated things like that.  Sites were nice sized and in the trees - didn't feel like I would be staring right at a neighbor.  It's a big campground with lots of trails right through it, and the lake is easily accessible.  Took a nice walk around one evening and watched the sun set at the lake.

Only downside I saw was when it rained and some of the campsites seemed to have some water issues.  Some were just muddy.  Others had standing water around the power post which I would find troublesome and/or shocking. Overall, I would recommend the park.  Great location, nice park and campsites.  Just be aware when it's raining to not play with electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment