Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The 3am problem

Normally I am a heavy sleeper.  I often have difficulty falling asleep, but once I do I'm out like a light.    So the emergency that occurred this morning about 3am took a few minutes to sink in.  I kept hearing, "we're out of propane!"  Truly it took me a few minutes to understand. The new camper has a furnace.  This is a novelty for us as our last camper didn't have one, our teardrop didn't have one, and certainly tents don't come so equipped.  So this is the first year having a thermostat on the wall and instant heat at our fingertips.  And thank goodness - it's been unusually cold every weekend that we've camped.

So this morning we apparently reached the end of all our propane in like 8 nights of camping. I heard a commotion - someone putting on shoes in the dark.  I'm not sure if I opened my eyes at that point, but I knew someone was about to go outside.  When I regained semi-consciousness I heard the heater kick on and then back off again.  No luck.  The second tank which we had hardly used was also empty.  And at 3am what can you do?  Nothing is open at 3am on Memorial Day - at least no where that fills propane tanks. By 7am it was about 51 degrees in the trailer.

I find it hard to get out of bed when the temp is below 65, so this morning was a struggle.  But those tanks are full now you better believe.  Lesson learned: when camping in cold weather either make sure you have full propane tanks or have a backup option

No comments:

Post a Comment